The problem addressed in this qualitative study is the need to improve American Indian students’ persistence college. The focus of this research was to understand the ways in which the life experiences of 12 American Indian students influenced their persistence in a tribal college. By using a descriptive case study approach, qualitative data were collected from 12 on-site interviews and institutional academic documents. Interview data were validated with methodological triangulation protocols that employed inductive and typological analysis techniques. Case study documentation was analyzed through interpretive analysis. Findings point to the need to establish a level of engagement between instructors and students because instructors play such a vital role in students’ success. The results identified 4 themes that encapsulated and defined the roles that faculty, family members, college location, and resources of the college play in contributing to the persistence of American Indian students. Suggested future studies include investigating the economic impact that this Midwestern tribal community college has had on not only the tribal community but also the adjacent communities and to replicate this study with non-Native students to compare results. Quantifiable data were produced that might strengthen the need for tribal colleges and universities.
News & Blog
Read more articles from the College Fund team.
Browse by Category
Browse by Date
- American Indian College Fund Offers $20 Gift Card for Scholarship Applicants Attending Tribal Colleges and Universities
- American Indian College Fund Honors Tribal College Students of the Year, Coca Cola Scholars, and Tribal College and University Professional of the Year
- ECMC Foundation Grants $1.125 Million to American Indian College Fund to Boost Workforce in North Dakota and Montana
- Samantha Maltais Awarded Three-Year American Indian Law School Scholarship to Attend Harvard Law School
- The American Indian College Fund Student-Designed Pendleton Blanket Available for Purchase