BE A SOCIAL AMBASSADOR
Let’s make a collective push to promote education equality.
Support Native Students. Support the American Indian College Fund.
Make a difference in five minutes. Sign up for email updates and instructions on taking action to advocate for our causes. Just fill out the form and check “sign-up.” Also, read about the issues facing Native education in the tabs further below. Then contact your elected officials. That is all it takes!
Get Registered Now
July 31: Ask Your National Lawmakers to Re-authorize the FUTURE Act for TCUs
Fostering Undergraduate Talent by Unlocking Resources (FUTURE) Act (S. 1279 and H.R. 2486)
Background: Tribal colleges and universities (TCUs) were established by Native leaders to provide quality, affordable, and geographically accessible education and cultural training to their communities.
The Challenge: TCUs depend upon the FUTURE Act for funding for essential services, including:
- Construction/Renovation: Construction of new buildings; renovation of existing buildings; campus expansion
- Infrastructure: IT hardware and cyber-security upgrades
- Student Support Services: Tutoring; writing and math labs; retention and recruitment programs; other wraparound services; funding for support staff
- Campus Safety: Security cameras and outdoor lighting
- Faculty: Hiring and support of credentialed faculty in key fields
- Professional Development: Faculty and staff for professional development required for licensing and accreditation
- Accreditation: Achieving and maintaining compliance
- Native Language/Culture: Investment in innovative and critically needed programming; academic and community based language fluency programs
- Academic Programs: Development of new programs in high demand and emerging fields
- Library Service: Purchase of new and online books and subscriptions; digitization of archives and tribal records
- Endowments: Establishment of, and contribution to, endowments for student scholarships, faculty, and long-term sustainability
Take Action! Call your U.S. Senator and Representative on Wednesday, July 31!
- Tell them TCU students are depending upon re-authorization of the Strengthening Institutions-Tribal College Program (HEA Title III-Part F) to continue to receive important services at their colleges.
- See a sample phone script and look up your U.S. Senator and Congressperson's contact information on AIHEC's special web page.