Preparing For College
What To Expect And How To Prepare.
Native Pathways Guidebook
This culturally-relevant guide was developed to empower Native students to prepare, plan and successfully take the first steps of their higher education journey – with their identity firmly in hand. Helping students navigate school choice, applications, finances, and their first year at school, it includes contributions from Native graduates, professionals and artists.
Schools and Native student groups can request hard copies of the guidebook HERE.
Native Pathways Fall Education Events
We want you to be prepared for all of the challenges you’ll face this year, so we’ve scheduled a calendar of webinars and videos to assist you with everything from working with your professors to applying for scholarships. Add the events to your calendar, and sign-up for notifications here.
- Aug 25 (3pm MDT) Family Conversations for Financial Well Being
- Sept 9 (6pm MDT) Every Person Counts BE COUNTED Kick-Off
- Sept 18 (6pm MDT) SOCIAL BREAK with Tall Paul & Dream Warriors
- Sept 23 (2pm MDT) Federal Career Opportunities with USA Jobs
- Sept 30 (6pm MDT) FAFSA Advice for Parents & Students
- Oct 7 (12pm MDT) The BEST Internship Searches & Applications
- Oct 19-22 (10am MDT) Tribal College Fair – Experience the Advantage!
- Oct 23 (6pm MDT) SOCIAL BREAK with Special Celebrity Guest!
- Nov 4 (5pm MST) Improve Your Scholarship & Internship Application
- Nov 12 (12pm MST) Thank, Recommend & Refer: Building Relationships
- Dec 3 (3pm MST) SOCIAL BREAK Finals Stress Relief: Bowling @Home
- Dec 8 (2pm MST) Navigating Virtual Career Opportunities
Native Pathways VIRTUAL Summer Camp
All Native rising high school juniors/seniors, and college & university students, are invited to register for the Native Pathways Summer Virtual Camp 2020! You’ll be engaged in 3 Days of interactive workshops and activities on college admissions and planning, major and career exploration, financial literacy, and more. Our 2020 event is complete. Check back next year for information about the 2021 event.
REGISTRATION CLOSED FOR 2020
High School Admissions Pathway
Helps high school students at any stage realize the importance and benefits of college. To make college more accessible and easier to navigate, coaches provide guidance and resources through on-site visits to high schools, social media interaction, one-on-one coaching, and workshops.
12th Grade Checklist
11th Grade Checklist
10th Grade Checklist
9th Grade Checklist
Preparing for College
Other than doing well in high school, it takes a lot just to apply to a college and get in. From SATs and FAFSAs, to college essays and campus visits, there is a lot you need to understand
Choosing A College
Once you’ve made the decision to go to college, you need to decide which one is right for you. Many factors can affect your decision, including location, price, size and programs offered.
Paying For College
Before you save money, apply for loans or get jobs – look to scholarships first. Not only are there many “merit” scholarships (based on your academic performance and grades), but many exist to also support specific fields of study or interests. Here are some places to start...
What To Expect At College
You’ve worked hard in high school, applied to college and got into a school. But what does the journey look like now? Check out the following resources to help guide your first steps on campus, and in the classroom.
Native Pathways to College
We want you to be prepared for all of the challenges you’ll face this year, so we’ve scheduled a calendar of webinars and videos to assist you with everything from working with your professors to applying for scholarships.